Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Gingerbread reindeer

Normally at this time of year I am up to my oxters in baking mince pies.....listening to Carol's from Kings as I go. This is only our second  Christmas we've spent in the States....we've been back to England a couple of times to spend time with our families. So since this year is an American style Christmas I'm not going to do the mince pies ( traveling man does not know this yet..we may have a revolt.......) and I have been making Gingerbread reindeer instead. The teenager helped- well for a while- and I still had the carols playing,not the Kings College ones though....

3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 stick butter,softened
2 large eggs
1/4 cup molasses
3 3/4 cups flour
2 teasp ground ginger
11/2 teasp baking soda
1/2 teap ground cinnamon
1/2 teasp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teasp salt

Using an electric mixer on low speed,cream the butter and sugar until thoroughly combined. Add the eggs and molasses and mix again until combined. Sift the flour,ginger,baking soda,cinnamon ,nutmeg and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and combine with a spoon or spatula.
Remove the dough from the bowl and wrap in plastic wrap,then place it in the fridge to firm up for about 30 minutes.
  Line cookie sheets with baking parchment,and take small amounts of dough at a time,to roll on a floured surface. Roll til about 1/8 inch thick,then cut our our shapes.

Bake for 10 minutes until the edges are just beginning to brown. Cool and decorate - I used the ready made icing pens for quickness.

Don't they look festive!! A few of them need to go to the Gingerbread Hospital as they have broken legs.... Or we could just put them out of their misery straight away and eat them now,as the Teenager told me in no uncertain terms..

    I'll do the mince pies next year,traveling man,I promise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment