Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Smoked salmon,goat cheese and artichoke quiche

I have a story about making making quiches . It was the first thing I learnt to make during my horrendous cookery lessons at boarding school. I was bad at cooking back then.  I used to dread the lessons as something always used to go terribly wrong with what ever I was making , and the teacher would get so cross with me.... My quiche leaked all over the bottom of the oven,making a nice burnt patch to clean off....and whilst everyone else got to take their offerings back to the dorm to supplement whatever  was for tea that night....I came away empty handed and thoroughly scolded. Anyway I vowed I wouldn't do that again....and since that day my quiches have never leaked...hoorahhh

So here is a new quiche to try....the book club girls gave it the thumbs up ...and....it didn't leak all over the bottom of my oven.

Crust.
2 cups flour
2 teasp granulated sugar
1 teasp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
4 - 6 tbsp cold water

For the filling.
1 oz butter
1 red onion thinly sliced
24 artichoke hearts, I got mine from a jar
4 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp chopped dill
salt and pepper
6 oz smoked salmon, skin removed and broken into small pieces
4 oz goats cheese,crumbled.

To make the crust,
  In a food processor,combine the flour,butter,sugar and salt,and mix until the butter is the size of small peas. Add the water, one tbsp at a time,until the dough starts to come together ,you may not need all the water. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and roll out to fit a 9 inch spring form tin. The pastry will be about 1/4 inch thick.  I had left overs so I made some jam tarts too.....


A few sneaky jam tarts.....
The pastry should cover the base and sides of your pregreased tin, and then it needs to go into the freezer for 20 minutes before baking.  Preheat the oven to 350 ,and once the pastry has rested in the freezer for 20 minutes, line with some parchment paper and fill with baking beads ,and bake 20 minutes. Then remove the paper and beads and continue to bake for another 10 minutes,so the pastry begins to brown.

Whilst all this freezing and baking blind is going on you can start to make the filling. Melt the butter in a large saute pan and cook the onion for 10 minutes until softened. Then add the drained artichoke hearts and cook for another 5 minutes.
Break the eggs into a bowl and add the cream,milk,dill and seasoning.   Whisk until combined.  When the pastry shell comes out of the oven,increase the over temperature to 400. Pour half of the egg mixture into the case and bake again until it is just starting to set,about 15 minutes.
Scatter half of the onion/artichoke mixture over the partially set egg mixture,then distribute half of the salmon and goat cheese on top. Pour on the remaining egg mixture ,then add the other onion mix and salmon/ goat cheese. Bake until the center is just set, mine took 50 minutes. I used a small knife to cut into the middle to see if it was done. If the crust starts to brown too much, you can cover it with some strips of foil. Remove the quiche from the spring form tin and serve warm, or at room temperature.
Its much thicker than any quiche I've made before,so I should think it would serve about 10 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment