Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Lemon bars

Thank goodness lemons keep so well. I bought a big bag over Christmas thinking I was going to use them....and I didn't. I always do this at Christmas...in England I used to buy the most ridiculous things like pickled walnuts and candied orange slices...which I believed I might just need over the holiday...and of course never did. Why do I do it......

 I'd been looking at this recipe for a while and wondering how they would turn out...so this was my opportunity...what I should have done however was read the recipe all the way through before I started it as it make a huge amount of lemon bars....I have enough to last us until March....should have halved the recipe probably.....


For the crust.
4 cups flour
1 cup powdered sugar
4 1/2 sticks butter

Preheat oven to 350.   Grease a 17 by 12 inch baking pan ( that should have given it away I suppose,as to how may this was going to make....but I'm still not good at inches...I had to use 2 pans as none of mine are this big) .In a food processor mix the flour and sugar together,then add the butter,cut into cubes,and pulse until it begins to stick together. Remove from the processor and flatten the dough with lightly floured hands. Press into the bottom and 1/4 inch up the sides of the prepared tin. The dough will be about 1/4 inch thick.
Bake 12 -15 minutes,until light brown but not quite done.Set aside while you prepare the lemon filling.



Filling.
3 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teasp baking powder
7 eggs, lightly beaten
grated zest and juice of 4 lemons


Mix together the sugar,flour and baking powder in a bowl. Mix the eggs,lemon zest and juice in a separate bowl,and whisk until well blended. Sift the flour mixture in to the eggs and beat until you have a smooth mixture.
Pour the filling on top of the crust and bake for about 30 minutes,or until set. Cool before cutting as its quite delicate.

There she is in all her glory.


Just as well the Teenager likes them as we will be eating these for a while....

No comments:

Post a Comment