Friday, January 7, 2011

salsa verde chicken with herbed cornmeal dumplings

I am such a sucker for dumplings!! I will put them into anything I possibly can.....they make everything so homey and soak up all the lovely juices of whatever it is you've thrown them into........So when I saw this recipe which includes Salsa verde,another fav of mine,there was no discussion. It had to be done .Today. It turned out to be so successful that my photographs got kind of forgotten as I went along ...that and the teenager on my back telling me how hungry he was every 10 seconds...clearly I never feed the child......
   So apologies for the absence of a finished look photo...you'll have to make it yourself now!!


Serves 6 or 4 with a teenager.

1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
I can -14.5 oz chicken broth
1 jar-16 oz salsa verde
1 5oz can evaporated milk
1 large rotisserie chicken,the meat cut into large chunks

Dumplings.
I cup milk
3 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 teasp salt
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/4 cup chopped cilantro



For the CHICKEN,.

Heat the butter in a large oven proof casserole,and whisk in the flour to make a paste, then add the broth ,salsa and evaporated milk and whisk like crazy until you have a nice smooth sauce. It will thicken as you cook it. Add the chicken,then get on with your dumplings.


Heat the milk and butter in a pan until steamy.
 Mix the cornmeal,baking powder,salt ,scallions and cilantro together ,then add the milk and mix together to form and smooth firm dough. Pinch off ping pong ball sized pieces of dough and drop them into the chicken mixture. Return the chicken to a simmer on the hob,then cover and cook in a 400 oven for about half an hour.
It has a slightly spicy feel to it,which we all love.....wish I had a picture of the finished dish to tempt you with......

No comments:

Post a Comment