Friday, October 29, 2010

something spicy for a friday night??

Friday is finally here...time to relax ,unwind,and cook something spicy!! Traveling man has "man flu" so this may even help him clear those passages.....
    Zanzibar chicken is on the menu...Zanzibar....sounds so exotic- I know I want to go there already....sounds like blue skies,sandy beaches,exotic cuisine....OK wake up Caroline,you're in Oregon and its damp and dark outside....dream on....I found this in one of my UK magazine subscriptions I still have - Delicious Magazine -I love their recipe's..this one in particular caught my eye,as it has influences from India, Persia ,Arabia..all spicy themes which I love.  

 2 tbsp Olive oil
 4 chicken breasts
 2 finely chopped onions
 4 garlic cloves,crushed.
Large piece chopped ginger
 3 Green chills ,finely chopped
 5 finely chopped tomatoes
2 tsp each ground coriander and cumin
5 cardamon pods cracked open and seeds removed ( pods discarded)
 2 x tins coconut milk
 1 bunch fresh basil leaves chopped
 juice of 2 limes


Heat the oil in your large frying pan and fry off the chicken until brown...transfer to keep warm.  Add the onion and soften for 10 mins, stirring until coloured.,then add the chopped chili,cook 2 mins,then tomatoes and allow to cook down for a minute or two. Add the spice to the onion mix,and heat for a minute ...pour over the coconut milk and chicken breasts and cook until the chicken is cooked through.  To finish, add the  basil and lime juice,season, and transport yourself to Zanzibar.. I served mine with stir fried noodles with green beans and sugar snap peas.   Quite delicious..and spicy ,and yeas those tubes were cleared for a few minutes . Result.
 The finished result picture looks a bit too much like the chicken dish yesterday for my liking (Traveling Man and the Teenager says I need a food stylist...not sure how to take this ....) but TOTALLY different taste I can assure you.....Go Zanzibar Chicken!!

 The plates I'm using in the photos by the way,I've had since I started my nurse training...26 years ago...how that for a good buy!!

1 comment:

  1. Caroline! I didn't even know that you have a fancy Blog! I love Caroline's Kitchen! Guess I better start trying your recipes, they look tasty : ) Cindy Wiggy

    ReplyDelete