Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What shall we have for dinner today??

So its cold and rainy here in Oregon today...and snowing up on Mt Hood-yay!! Its just the teenager and I in for dinner today..and since it so Autumnal (or cold and damp to put it another way) we need comfort food. we can eat in front of the TV- I know thats bad.
  So after a quick dig around the fridge and pantry,I came up with the idea of a sausage pie with some added veg to make me  feel better about it.



So I chopped an onion,red pepper and a zucchini and sauteed them in a tbsp olive oil.Next I added a clove of chopped garlic to the pan and continued to cook until that great garlic smell started to hit. A 1lb block of bulk pork sausage went in next,and that need to be browned off until the sausage was no longer pink.  The tinned tomatoes ,a generous couple of tbsps of tomato paste,seasoning(I'm a pepper freak and like to add lots) were all I finished it up with ,and had the pan bubble over a low heat for 20 mins or so to reduce everything down a bit. . After the crucial tasting I added some gorgeous Herbes De Province -fresh from France this week as a gift to me from a French colleague of my husbands who is in town this week...about a tbsp....et voila!!
I cheated big time today and bought some ready made pastry -how shameful Caroline I can hear my mother saying-and rolled that into my pie dish.
In went the sausage concoction and  all I need to add then was 11/2 cups grated cheese.Baked 30 - 40 mins at 350 F,let stand for 10 mins ,and then cut into wedges.
  Pretty simple comfort food  that we could eat again tomorrow!!
  Was going to show a picture of the pie sliced into ...but that would reveal how much we ate of it and that wouldn't do at all.

1 comment:

  1. You did it!!! And oh my gosh, this looks simply delicious!!! I am going to write down your recipes and make them myself, and my family will think I'm a great cook!!! And this looks so simple that I think I can do it! Maybe I'll even get the ingredients for tonight!

    ReplyDelete