Sunday, October 31, 2010

Spicy spinach dip

Happy Halloween!!
  We were invited to a get together yesterday,prior to our annual trip around the Haunted Corn Maize....super scary and I always come away from it with a sore throat due to my excessive screaming.....which makes the ghouls  even more prone to follow and spook me!! I was asked to bring an appetizer to share....this always seems so American to me, the Brit who is used to a bag of peanuts and maybe some pork scratchings ( you don't want to know what those are...) if we are feeling flush!! We just don't do appetizer's like the Americans do....so this is always really exciting for me to experience and cook these new finds !
    Spicy spinach dip,served warm..... that sounded like a good bet, serves 8 and is SO easy to make its almost embarrassing to post this on a cooking blog,as really there is no cooking involved.  However,to me ,the English girl,this signifies something completely foreign and exotic ..something I would  never have though of preparing if I hadn't moved to the US. I bet you are all laughing at me  !!

10 oz frozen chopped spinach- thawed and drained
8 oz cream cheese,softened
16 oz hot salsa
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 cups shredded pepperjack cheese
1 can chopped black olives
Salt and pepper to taste

Squeeze excess water out of the spinach- if its too wet the dip will be watery.  In a mixing bowl,combine spinach and cream cheese. Stir in the salsa and vinegar,add cheese and olives,and season to taste.
  Transfer to a mixing bowl and bake at 400 F until bubbly ( I stirred it after about 10 minutes to make sure it was melting evenly) . Serve warm with tortilla chips.

Here it is.....and everyone chomped away at it,so I guess I'm a convert....no more peanuts and salt and vinegar crisps for me....appetizer's here we come!

1 comment:

  1. For the record ,it's not actually very spicy at all...I'd call it "tangy"

    ReplyDelete