Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Flourless chocolate torte

This is one of those recipes that look -  and taste - like you have just popped out to the French Patisserie . I don't know why I'm telling you all this recipe really,as my secret is now out....its not that difficult to make!! I know you are all probably feeling withdrawal symptoms from Thanksgiving cooking, so,  my friends,  its time to get back in the kitchen and whip up a little oh la la !

I'm posting a picture of this little beauty first so you can see how nice it turns out...

Don't you just want to eat it right now???


11/4 cups butter- 21/2 sticks
3/4 cup cocoa
6 eggs separated
2 cups sugar, divided
1 teasp vanilla extract
 1 cup ground almonds - Trader Joes has nice packets of them
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs

Heat the oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9 inch springform pan. Melt the butter ,add the cocoa powder and 11/2 cups of the sugar, and stir until smooth. Cool a little.  Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl until thick. Gradually add the chocolate mixture,stir in the water and vanilla, and then add the ground almonds and breadcrumbs.
  Beat the egg whites until foamy, the gradually add the remaining cup of sugar,beating until soft peaks form. Fold about 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the chocolate,then fold all of the chocolate into the remaining egg whites.  Pour into the prepared pan and bake 50 -60 minutes, or until a wooden pick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and remove from the pan.

The melted butter and chocolate.....

The egg yolks getting nice and thick....
The egg whites doing what they are supposed to do.....

And its into the oven.

 Another good thing is that this torte freezes really well....


Enjoy !!

1 comment:

  1. mmm yummy! I am going to have to take a day and check out all these recipes I've missed!!! I think I haven't been on FB the same time as you to see when you have posted...you have been a very busy baker!

    ReplyDelete